My wonderful husband has ALWAYS and I mean always had a dog in his life. He was born having a husky to grow with and as soon as she passed they bought another to replace her. Soon after that they bought his younger brother a lab mix to have the two. And they are still living with his parents back in Ohio. Don took care of them mostly and talks about them constantly. They even slept in his bed..I have never owned a pet that I got attached to. I never had to take care of one let alone would ever consider one in my bed. I can not stand going to my in laws and sitting on anything just to leave covered in dog hair. Drives me crazy. Yet I love seeing puppies and the idea of having a family pet. Well long story short Don has begged and begged to find a dog I will be OK with keeping. When we were first together he brought home a huge puppy boxer to our one bedroom apartment! I ended up after several feuds getting rid of it because I could not control him and he had knocked out all the screens and stained my rug...disaster.
Here is what we have narrowed it down to. I am due pretty much any day now to deliver..and we will have our hands full with the new baby plus Ava whose 14months. Around next Christmas I told him we could begin looking for their "childhood dog". I am very picky so we have started researching and reading up on the perfect breeds for us. Here's what we've narrowed it down to..
Don's first choice is-
Boxer (male)

Which turns into this

English bulldog

Which then turns into this

OR a maltese goin for a smaller pooch?

So there you have it! We're down to 3 breeds and not sure what to do. And have you ever heard of how bringing a puppy into a home with two "babies" works out????
Let me know PLEASE! I am doing this for the hubs so he better be grateful lol I'm going to seriously need training classes rather than the pup!
1 comment:
I looooove my dogs! My "childhood" dog is still at my parents and Nick and I got a dog a month after marriage. He's a great dog - half toy poodle/half pomeranian. He sleeps with us as well - which we both said would NEVER happen!
That being said, I can't imagine a dog in your particular life specifics right now. I guess it's totally up to you all whether you think you have the time and patience it takes to potty train and deal with him through puppy-hood. (Which is a rough time with the big dogs and the chewing - I recommend the small dogs!)
I would recommend getting an adult dog. One that's at least a year old. You can then see his real personality, he should be potty trained, and you would QUICKLY be able to see how he would be around the babies - crucial!
There are A LOT of people who give up wonderful trained dogs because they are moving, or allergic, or unable to take care of them anymore. You can easily even find the breed you want from shelters and rescues.
Okay, sorry. That's my peace. Let me know if you want any more opinions or help - obviously, I love sharing ;) hehe
Post a Comment